May 25, 2017
Lindsay: Local MP Jamie Schmale is pleased to announce that seniors in Fenelon Falls will receive financial support from the New Horizons for Seniors Program.
The Fenelon Falls Senior Club is receiving $25,000 which will support three “Stay Strong, Live Long” workshops to be offered throughout the year. The workshops will be planned in conjunction with the Fenelon Falls Age Friendly Committee. The first of these workshops will held Thursday, June 1 in celebration of Seniors’ month – Be Happy, Be Healthy, Be Wise is the theme of this workshop.
In addition to the workshops, the funding will support the purchase of a commercial dishwasher, a digital outside sign, portable staging and electronics. These purchases will enrich the activities and programs offered by the club.
“It’s imperative to recognize the valuable contribution seniors have made to our society,” said Schmale. “By supporting New Horizons for Seniors Program projects, we are acting to ensure that seniors maintain a good quality of life and continue to be active members of their communities.”
- The latest call for proposals was launched on May 10, 2017, and will be open until June 23, 2017. More information available here: http://www.esdc.gc.ca/eng/seniors/funding/about/index.shtml
- Eligible organizations can receive up to $25,000 in project funding.
- Through the previous 2016-2017 call for proposals, the Government of Canada provided approximately $35 million in NHSP funding for close to 1,850 community-based projects.
- Since 2004, the NHSP has approved close to 19,700 projects in hundreds of communities across Canada, with a total Government of Canada investment of approximately $417 million.
- Based on Statistics Canada data from the 2016 census, there are now more seniors (5.9 million) than children (5.8 million). By 2061, they project 12 million seniors to 8 million children.
For more information contact:
Office of Jamie Schmale, MP
(705) 324-2400 or (866) 688-9881